Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring Cleaning... and Lighting

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting this up, but better a little late than never right? Anyway the space needs to be cleaned! Now I know we all are busy but time definitely needs to be found to get this done. It seems to me that the most sensible thing to do would be to get as many people possible together from each individual class together during or around their class time. So that being said, it would be expected on Tuesdays and Thursdays that whoever from Tom's class is available should be at the space roughly around the parameters of their classes time. So Tuesdays and Thursdays would be cleaning duty for Tom's class and Mondays and Wednesdays would be cleaning duty for Paul's. Now I know Paul's class occasionally meets a bit more often than Paul's, but a schedule could easily be adjusted in those situations.

Also, aside from cleaning we need to determine as a group "officially" what parts of the space we want to use for the show? How we want to light those spaces? and, How we logistically can light such spaces (ie. hot lamps)? So, if possible I'd like for all of you to comment on this post and give answers to the following questions:

1. Do you think we should use both the obvious office space area and the grand entryway? Or, just the office space area? One choice concentrates the visitors into a very easy and readable "gallery space" while the other offers a more unique and challenging experience for the viewer, possibly overshadowing the actual work on display (plus there are the flooding issues). You choose!

2. No matter how question #1 ends up, we'll have the majority of the show in the office space area of the bank. That being said, how do we want to light it? Do we want to leave the fluorescent bay lights alone and have a show in that space as is (not my choice), or do we want to add lighting of our own (this gets my vote)?

3. Following up on question #2. Hot lamps would be the obvious choice if we chose to do the lighting ourselves. Just to get some sort of headcount, how many hot lamps do each of you own? If you do, would you be willing to lend them to the show?

OK, thanks everyone! If all goes to plan our first official cleaning day should be this coming Monday!

12 comments:

  1. Firstly, i think that we should only use the office space, because of both leaking issues, as well as the overwhelming design and physique of that room. I think it would be hard for viewers to focus.
    I agree with you chris, that our own created light source would be nice, instead of leaving it up for just the flourescents.
    And finally, i have no hot lamps, but i have some money to go and buy some for my pieces if need-be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we should use hot lamps to light our pieces rather than leave it up to the fluorescent lights. I don't have any hot lamps that work, nor do I have money to spare to buy hot lamps. All the money I currently have is going towards printing and framing for the show.

    I also agree that we should keep the show in the office space rather than extend it to the entryway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm for the Office Space - (pretty sure all of Tom's class agreed on this...) easier to keep clean, same simple design and SAFER (easier to keep people contained and of restricted areas)

    Yes for Hot Lamps - I only have one, my boyfriend works at Lowe's and gets a 10% discount - it's not much but if we figure out how many we need and you guys want me to get him to buy them with the $, let me know! Any penny saved is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, and maybe we should base lighting off whom is willing to set up their own lights or not? I know that we can turn some of the fluorescents on and some off - so for example, if Fallon would rather not deal with the lighting issue she can have a flourescent space to work with.... Next week when we start cleaning, we can play with the lights and see what works best. Obviously those who want one of the little rooms to themselves will be able to do whatever they want with lighting....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to the office space. It keeps the show altogether and the viewers in one area.

    yes to hotlights. I don't think we should have to pay for them though. If that is so then I will do what I have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hotlights yes. office space only, yes too! I think purchasing our own lights would be more sensible because who gets them at the end?! The photo dept?.. no. ? or what?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say hot lights bought cohesively, They could be returned, or divided, I think we will still have funds left over, I don't think it should be an individual choice, either good lighting all around, or everyone uses fluorescent, that way it all has the same feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Office space only.

    Hot lamps... I'm pretty sure we should have enough money left over to pay for all of them especially if we contribute any lamps we already have and use Arlie's boyfriend's discount. Unified lighting will look best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Office Space

    Hot Lamps. I'll pitch in if need be. You can always use them in the future if you pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree we should us the office space only. And is better lighting really being questioned? Of course we need better lighting.... Shouldn't our funds cover this anyway? Yes, they should. I think we've raised enough. Therefore we would get to divide the lights amongst ourselves seeing as our class raised the money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Office space only, for sure. Hot lamps! I don't have any, but I'd be willing to buy one or two. However, I think we should have plenty of money for the class to buy them, considering after buying the books we'll still have roughly $700 leftover from the raffle ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. hot lights, office space ...

    i don't mind buying the ones i will need, do you guys know they are like 3 bucks??

    but... arlie's boyfriends discount could help a lot if we decide to get them all together with the rest of the money we saved...

    i am in support of whatever option we use for the lighting...

    ALSO,

    I am not sure if this is appropriate to do it this way, but I would really love one of the small rooms with no windows for my installation... as long as its ok with the winners of best in show, can i call that ahead of time????

    ReplyDelete